About Milano Inn
Back in 1934, when Indianapolis’ population was less than half of what it is today, a late 19th century brick building on a hill just southeast of downtown opened for business as The Milano Inn restaurant. The Holy Rosary-Danish Church Historic District, a neighborhood named for its population of working-class Italian immigrants, lay just a few blocks to the south. Milano Inn quickly became a home away from home for those residents and the neighbors of Irish Hill, the predominately Catholic district in which it operated.
Relying on Italian hospitality and good food, Milano Inn has stood watch as Indianapolis has evolved. It was founded during the Great Depression, flourished as manufacturers prospered during the 1940s and survived as subdivisions lured families to the suburbs starting in the 1950s. It has seen the rise and fall of Market Square Arena and the Hoosier Dome. Skyscrapers, world-class hotels, and a resurgence in urban living has revitalized downtown in recent years and, as always, Milano Inn has welcomed those from the neighborhood and beyond with warmth, and tried and true family recipes.
As custodians of this proud tradition, the LaGrotte family, Chef John White, and everyone else at Milano Inn invites you to have a seat at our table.